Monday, May 5, 2008

20 Weeks


We made it to the half way mark!

What is the baby doing?

She weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now and is around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel - the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, measurements were taken from the top of the baby's head to the its bottom - known as the "crown to rump" measurement. After that, measurements are from head to toe becuase the baby's legs were curled up against her torso during the first half of pregnancy and were very hard to measure). A greasy white substance called vernix caseosa coats her entire body to protect her skin during its long submersion in amniotic fluid. This slick coating also eases the journey down the birth canal. She is swallowing more which is a good practice for her digistive system. She is also producing meconium, a black, sticky substance that is the result of cell loss, digestive secretion and swallowed amniotic fluid. This meconium will accumulate in her bowels and we will see it in her first messy diaper (although a few babies pass it in utero or during delivery).

How is the Mommy doing...

I am shocked that I am already 20 weeks pregnant! The first trimester seemed like it took forever but these past six weeks or so have flown by. Now that we are in the second half I am excited about starting to prepare the babies room and start the real preparation for the arrival of our little girl. We have registered for classes at the hospital (birthing, baby care and breast feeding) that starts Monday, June 2. We will be attending those classes Monday nights for six weeks. I am excited but also nervous.

This week went by fast which was great because on Friday John and I headed to Austin for the weekend. We went for time away and to attend the Weekend to Remember Marriage Conference. We were really blessed that my sister Ashley came into town this weekend for a job fair and offered to watch Titus which saved us money and Titus was able to be spoiled by Auntie Ashley. Our weekend in Austin was great! On Friday, we went to the Co-op and got the baby some gear for football season (bows for her hair, a longhorn stuffed animal and two little outfits). The conference started that night and it was great to be reminded about the basics of having a God centered marriage and how to keep our marriage strong. Praise for a great time away and visiting our favorite Austin places! Austin has such great memories for us and it was nice to get away before the baby.

This upcoming week is busy with a dentist appointment on Tuesday and then a doctor's appointment on Friday. We have also started getting more and more information from potential day cares and are going to visit the first one on Friday before my appointment. We are really hoping that it will be evident where we need to enroll and the schedule that we will have. Then on Saturday I am co-hosting a bachelorette party for my good friend Megan and am excited about seeing Megan and celebrating her upcoming marriage. I was able to find a fun dress to wear out that night and a swim suit which was a relief. Also this week, my bridesmaids dress for Megan's wedding in June came in and I am really excited. It looks great and I think it will match really well with the rest of the bridal party.

I have been a little uncomfortable this week and especially this weekend with the large amounts of sitting that I have been doing. Pray for rest and that I am able to find some comfort in sitting and relief from back pain.
Also, I have a poll (see the left hand column) going for help on a middle name. Vote for your favorites and if you have another suggestion, post it on this entry in the comments section. You can also vote at http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9625287.
  • Next Doctor's Appointment: This Friday (May 9) for my monthly check up
  • Total Weight Gain: 12 pounds
  • To Do This Week: Dentist appointment, get ready for Megan's bachelorette party on Saturday

How is the Daddy doing...

John also had a great weekend away and attending the conference. He is really excited about being a leader and raising a daughter! Austin was a great and being back in the city and campus was enjoyable. Another praise is that we found out John has five additional paid days from work to take care of me after the baby is born. We are so excited that he will have two weeks home with us and then a week at Christmas to go on vacation.


Small Group Run a couple of weeks ago (April 20). You can't hide the baby bump in running clothes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the name Avery! I like all the middle names you picked. (In order: Avery Nicole, Avery Madeline, Avery Michelle, Avery Mackenzie, Avery Paige.) I also really like Avery Grace and Avery Christine.

The Ratpack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Ratpack said...

Hey Che! This is Sarah Tanner. I saw on facebook you had a blog so I wanted to check it out! I just recently started one too, now I'm trying to figure it all out and make time to post! My sister is in Mrs. Rogers class this year, and she told me the other day they found a cat dissection book with me, you, and Adrienne Garcia's name in it!! She said there was another name but she couldn't remember...maybe Katie?? : ) Congrats on the baby! The name Avery is one I've always loved - for a boy or girl. Can't wait to see more pics of your cute belly!

*Sorry I forgot to tell you who this was in my first post!