Monday, August 19, 2013

Flying Back to Saudi

We had an absolutely amazing time this summer in Washington. It was everything we needed to rejuvenate and come back to Saudi. It was also so good that it was hard to tear ourselves away and agree to fly home. We love our life in Saudi for many reasons but we love Washington so much and it is hard to be torn between two places. But we had to head back and so we got all packed up and off we went.

I surprisingly only had five suitcases and the two carseats (I could have had three more suitcases) but even with all that it was a feat to get through the whole airport process and thankfully my mom and sister were there to help. We got all checked in and then had to say our goodbyes which was so hard. Both kids are at an age now that they know and realize what was happening and Graham was so sad. It  breaks your heart every time and makes you question why are you doing this every time. I finally tore them away and made it to security and they cried the entire wait, it was heartbreaking. Thankfully after security we had a train ride to our terminal which helped Graham and then I went and bought them each a toy to help distract them. We were at the airport way too early and so it was hard to entertain them and they went through their "dinner" I packed before we even got on the flight which worried me but they did great entertaining each other and waiting.

We finally boarded and got all settled and the kids started on some activities while we waited for boarding to finish up.

And then we were off on our about 14.5 hour flight home, a 7 hour layover and then a 90 minute flight to Bahrain and then a two hour drive home! I was hoping that this flight would go smoothly with us taking off around 6:00 PM. My goal was movies, dinner, change into PJ's, another movie and then bedtime and it worked perfectly! The kids had a hard time getting settled and finding enough space to fall asleep but when they did they were out and slept the entire flight! I woke them up around breakfast time so they could eat and they were in pleasant moods and it went so well. I had ordered gluten free meals for the kids but was nervous it would be stuff they would eat but all the meals they had were delicious and they ate everything :) After breakfast we changed into our clothes, played for a little bit and then landed.

Since we had a 7 hour layover I got a hotel room in the Dubai airport and we had someone meet us from the hotel at the gate and help get us there. We got to our room, ordered some food, showered, the kids played, and then they watched movies in bed so I could nap. We packed it all up and went to our next flight and were all doing great.

The second flight was a little rough but nothing bad. For one, it was delayed taking off so the kids fell asleep which wasn't ideal since I knew it was only a quick flight. They refused to sleep at the hotel and now they crashed. I was fine with them sleeping but it was knowing that waking up would be rough and that they had to wake up when we landed because I couldn't manage our three bags and carrying two sleepy kids through the airport. I got them awake....they were mad....and whiny but I got them walking through the airport, through passports and to baggage claim...somehow. We got all our bags super quick, the porter was actually helpful this time and we headed out to find daddy which was the best part. Both kids dropped their bags and ran to him which was awesome. 

We then packed up the car and headed home to deal with a long night of jet lag! Thankfully John was able to take a half day the next day so he helped stay up late with them so I could sleep and then helped me in the morning unpack and get a little settled. Then he headed to work at noon and we went for a nap only to wake up at 5:30 PM. Oh jet was super rough this time for everyone. It took almost two weeks. It was no fun! But our trip home this summer was and the flights were great and I will take rough jet lag over rough flights any day!

No comments: