Sunday, June 1, 2008

24 Weeks

What is the baby doing?

She is growing steadily, gaining about a quarter of a pound since last week, when she was just over a pound. Since she is almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), that makes a pretty lean figure, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon put on more baby fat. The baby's skin is thin, translucent and wrinkled, her brain is growing rapidly and her taste buds are developing. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" and cells that produce surfactant, a substance that helps the air sacs inflate easily.

How is the Mommy doing?

This week has been a little wild. Sunday night I was pretty sick and coughing pretty bad which meant that John and I stayed home from a wedding which we were pretty upset about. Monday consisted of coughing a whole lot and trying to rest. When I went to work on Tuesday, my cough was even worse and so I decided to go to my general doctor and make sure nothing was too wrong. Well, turns out I had a severe upper respiratory infection which was obviously not getting better on its own so she prescribed some antibiotics that are safe for pregnancy. I started those which have helped but I am still coughing just not as bad. Then, I noticed on Wednesday when I was driving home from work that I hadn't felt Avery move since Tuesday. That night in bed I still didn't feel anything and so Thursday morning after still not feeling anything I decided to give my doctor a call just to check and mostly to get some reassurance that I was just having first time mom fears. Well, since the lack of movement corresponded with the start of medication and I have been so sick, to my surprise, she actually asked me to go to the hospital to get everything checked out. John met up with me at the hospital that afternoon and after a whole lot of questions and hearing the heart beat they said everything was fine. The nurse said that since I am not past 24 weeks movement is not consistent and her heart rate was fine then there was nothing to really worry about. It was such a relief to hear her heart beat and hear that everything was fine with our little girl. I am thankful that I do have a doctor that is proactive though. She has moved some since then which has been reassuring. As the weeks go on I am starting to think she isn't too active of a baby which might change as things get more cramped in there. I had Friday off from work and John and I started the morning off by visiting the first daycare on our list. The visit went really well and we both left comforted that there is a affordable and quality care available. This daycare has always been on the top of our list and after our visit we both feel really confident in keeping it there. We have a couple more to visit and then we are hoping to make a decision before the end of July to make sure to get a spot at our top choice. I also ordered the crib which should arrive in a couple of weeks as well as picked up some other items for the nursery. That night, John and I also were able to visit our friend's Robbie and Sarah and their new baby girl, Emma. She is adorable and it was so amazing to finally see her after so many months of praying for her. John quickly realized after holding her how he is just going to melt for his little girl when she comes. I loved seeing John holding her and one of the things I am most excited about is John being able to be a part of our little girl's life. I know that he will be an amazing dad and I can't wait! Saturday we went and did some errands and picked up the paint for the nursery (Poetic Princess won). We also had a nice date night downtown at Julia's which was really nice and fun to get out and try a new place. 

This week is a very busy week for me. On Monday we are starting our first class at the hospital and then Tuesday I head out to Iowa for a week long work event returning Sunday. Please pray for safe travels and that I remember my limits and not exert myself. Also, please pray that Avery continues to be healthy and growing as she is supposed to.
  • Next Doctor's Appointment: June 9
  • Total Weight Gain: 17 pounds
How is the Daddy doing...

John is relieved that everything is fine with the baby and was so supportive during the visit to the hospital. He is such a rock for me when I need it. He is excited about starting the classes at the hospital and learning more about what to expect during labor and other baby care. While I am gone, John has offered to paint the nursery and I am so excited that I will be able to come home and start putting things together. He is excited about painting his little girl's room and is hoping it won't take all week. 

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Which daycares are you looking at? Glad to hear you are doing well. Enjoy every moment! It goes so fast!