Saturday, January 23, 2010

October 2009

So, October started with my birthday which was spent caring for my mom who had foot surgery that day. It was kind of surreal to spend it caring for my mom as I am sure that is how she spent most of her birthdays. Even with all of the craziness of surgery we still had a special day and ate dinner in Granny's bed! I got a Blackberry for my birthday which has been so much fun and also a sewing machine which I haven't used as much as I would like but it has come in handy and I am looking forward to more projects!

We then celebrated our 3 year anniversary on the 13th with a special homemade dinner (by John) at home. It has been a wild 3 years full of changes left and right! It still amazes me that we have done so much in that short amount of time. We are excited about spending this year status quo with enjoying life where we are now! Which to all those Grandparents means no more babies for a little while longer...as long as that is what God's plan is!

Also in October we took Peyton to Dewberry Farm which was so much fun! They have a real pumpkin patch, petting zoo, pony rides, hay rides and just a whole lot of fun. She had a great time and loved trying to carry all of the pumpkins. I love our little Peyton pumpkin!
After the visit to the farm we carved our pumpkin which Peyton was not very interested in and a little disgusted by the inside of the pumpkin. She observed and then ran off to play with the dogs.
Some of the biggest change/news of the month was that I started working again! While in Canada this Summer I was blessed with great periods of solitude to reflect on my roles as a follower of Christ, a wife and a mother. Among many things that were revealed to me and that I grew in one thing I realized was how much I wanted to work again. I LOVED that I got to stay home with Peyton but she is getting more independent and I need something to refill me. Also, I wanted Peyton to start a Mother's Day Out program and unless we had extra income there is no way that we could afford that. So, I told John when I got home from Canada that I wanted to look for a job at some point (no rush) that is close to home, about 15 hours a week or so, low stress, good environment, uses the skills I have and would be conducive to still being at home. John's response was supportive but Good Luck finding that dream job! Well I wasn't looking for that dream job but decided to start serving in the Senior High ministry at our church as a small group leader for girls. While talking with the pastor, he mentioned that he was looking for an assistant if I knew anyone and then later in our conversation he brought up the assistant position again and asked me what I used to do before being mom. Well, we talked some more and I ended up agreeing to look at the job description. I looked over it, prayed with John and decided to send him my resume and interview. After checking my references etc he offered me the job and I took it! I work 14 hours a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays and am loving it! It is a complete answer to prayer and fit all of my criteria and it pays exactly for Peyton's school and just a tiny bit of fun money! Peyton goes to a Lutheran churches daycare program (which I looked at originally when I went to work but their pick up time was too early...oh and she got the last spot...I think God's hand was on this!) and she had a rough time at first but is doing amazing now! I love being able to have my own thing and feel so much more effective as a mommy and wife. I am glad I stayed home for that first year and even more happy God has given me this opportunity.
Next post will be Halloween since this is getting way too long....

No comments: