Monday, August 25, 2008

36 Weeks

What is the baby doing...

Our little girl is still packing on the pounds - at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She is shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine month amniotic bath. She swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement.

At the end of this week, Peyton will will be considered full-term!

How is the Mommy doing....

For the most part this was a pretty quiet week. I mostly dealt with being uncomfortable and having constant heartburn. Even though it was a quiet week, our weekend made up for it...

I went to my regular doctor's appointment on Friday and when they were doing my regular blood pressure check they noticed that my blood pressure was really high which is not good by itself and especially since every other week it is either normal or low. So, they did the rest of my exam and then rechecked my blood pressure and it was still high so I was admitted to the hospital for 24 hour observation. 

While under observation, I had to have my blood pressure checked every two hours (even throughout the night) as well as had to have a 24 urine collection to check for protein in my urine which would also indicate Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. I got settled at the hospital around 10:00 AM and started on the monitor to check the babies heartbeat and monitor my contractions, everything checked out fine and although I do have some contractions here and there they are very irregular and are probably Braxton Hicks contractions. Then later that morning the high risk doctor came in to do an ultrasound to check that she is still growing correctly and that everything is fine with her. Although, she is in a breeched position (head is still under my ribs), she is developing fine and they are comfortable with her weight (5 pounds 9 ounces) and development. They did notice that my amniotic fluid levels were a little low but nothing serious. The low level could be because it is harder to predict levels with a breached baby or they are actually low which is another symptom of Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. Right now, it is just something to keep monitoring. It was crazy to see an ultrasound of her since the last time I had one was at 16 weeks. It is amazing how much she has grown and how tight it is in there for her. I really could not tell what I was looking at unless she pointed it out. I have some pictures but they are not that great since it is so tight in there. I am really praying that she turns around soon and would appreciate any and all prayers for the same. I spent the rest of the day resting and watching the Olympics with John. Then Saturday morning I finished my 24 hour collection and waited around for the results and doctor's orders while getting very anxious to leave since I had my baby shower at 2:00 that afternoon! The doctor came by and told me that although she didn't have my results from the protein test, she was comfortable with my blood pressure readings but suggested that I go on bed rest! That was the last thing I wanted to do and since I really only had a couple of high readings (one at the office and one at the hospital when I first arrived) I asked if we could start with a modified bed rest (other than work I am to be sitting/resting) and see how that goes. She agreed as long as I committed to taking my blood pressure three times a day and if it gets to a certain level I am to call my doctor and then I will probably have to go on complete bed rest. Hopefully this will work because I would be miserable at home knowing I was using my maternity leave without a baby here to take care of. An hour or so later, the lab work on the protein levels came back really low (they needed to be under 500 and it was 138) so I was finally discharged around 12:30.

I quickly got ready for my shower and then headed over there and I am so happy I was able to be discharged in
time. It was so much fun and beautiful! Everything was so well planned and such a blessing! It was fun to be able to celebrate with friends and be reminded how blessed we are to have such great people in our lives and in Peyton's life. My car was loaded with stuff and we are finally feeling like we are ready for Peyton's arrival which is a great feeling! After getting home, I sat down on the glidder in the nursery and John unloaded everything and brought it into the nursery and I directed him on where it needed to go. It was a good exercise because now John knows where things belong! John did some laundry and helped me hang up her clothes and we quickly realized how much clothes she has. The closet is packed (as you can see in the picture). She has more than enough clothes to last her up to six months. Hopefully she will be able to wear everything!

Today has been a hard day. I love being busy and getting things done and it has been very challenging to sit still and watch John do everything. John has been amazing, I wrote out a list of things to do for the day and he has been amazing in working through it especially since I know how much he hates housework and cleaning. So far today my blood pressure readings have been good which is a praise. But please pray for me and that I learn to let go and let John take care of me and the house and realize that my job is to rest and take care of myself and Peyton. 
  • Next Doctor's Appointment: Wednesday, August 27 
  • Prayer Requests: That I relax and abide the bed rest rules and that my blood pressure stays low. Also, that Peyton turns around so she is not in a breeched position.
How is the Daddy doing...

I don't think you can say you went to the hospital without having a good story.  The past two times Che was headed to the hospital, she begins the conversation with "so what do you have going on today"; kinda funny, but at least she is considerate of what's going on with me.  The hospital was ok, but it worried me that they could never get her diet together to feed her...very frustrating to see your wife in the hospital and getting hungry. I'm glad Che is having to be on modified bed rest, because she needs to learn to be still.  It just requires me to do a lot more, but it is good practice for when Peyton comes, and plus, Che deserves a break.

Our other child waiting patiently for his little sister to arrive


1 comment:

Kendra said...

Hang in there! I too developed PIH at week 37. Had to do the same thing as you. Dr. ended up wanting to induce the next week. Just stay rested as much as possible! You are nearing the end.