Thursday, August 28, 2008

36 Week Doctor Update

We had our weekly doctor appointment yesterday and we wanted to update everyone and also ask for prayer.

We started out the appointment with an ultrasound. I am so happy John was able to be there because he missed the one at the hospital. First, praise that our little girl is still a girl as far as we can tell! Also, she has gained weight since Friday so she is growing! She is still in a breeched position which I expected because I can still feel her head under my ribs. We were able to get a good look at her lips (which are surprisingly big) and nose and that is about it because she has her hands in a fist right in front of her face (my little boxer). One concern that was raised during my ultrasound however was that my amniotic fluid level has decreased from Friday (it went from 9cm to 8cm). Although not a significant decrease and it is still in the acceptable range of 5-15 cm, it is something that will now need weekly monitoring.

We then went to our regular check up. We discussed the blood pressure issue with my doctor and my concern that since it has been in the non hypertension range since Friday that I was being on bed rest for no reason. We discussed the spectrum of things that could go wrong and her reasoning for me being restricted etc. It was a good discussion and left John and me with the big decision of what we wanted to do and what we felt was the best for our family. We then moved on to discuss the breeched position and what the next steps were for that. Since Peyton is near full term, and the low levels of amniotic fluid, it is very unlikely that she will turn and any alternative measures to get her to turn would be unsuccessful and possibly dangerous due to the fluid levels. So, we are in the process of scheduling a c-section. Due to the blood pressure issues I would have been induced at 39 weeks so now we will just have a c-section then. We are waiting to hear from the doctor's office on when it will be but it probably be either September 12 or 15. We will keep everyone posted. 

When John and I left the office, I was pretty overwhelmed. We have been so blessed to have a normal healthy pregnancy up to last Friday and since then it seems like all these unexpected things keep creeping up and I honestly wasn't really ready to handle all of it. I have never been scared of labor and delivery but that was before I knew I would be having a c-section.  I always knew it was a possibility but I never really gave it much thought. After getting home, praying together and discussing everything, John and I decided that I would take a sick day for Thursday, go to work Friday since our office was closing at 1:00 for the long weekend, go to work Tuesday, have my doctor's appointment Wednesday morning and go in for the afternoon on Wednesday which would be my last day. I then would start my leave Thursday. Although I will be waiting at home for about a week without Peyton, I need to remember that the goal is to get a healthy baby here and that this is better for her and for me then working until the last moment and possibly making myself or her really sick. 

We are feeling better today and are starting to discuss the c-section and things John can do before, during and after to help make this easier. Also, since we have an idea of when she will be here we are making a final list of things we want to get done before then. Although not our first choice, we are now able to plan a little more which for John and me is kind of nice. Everyone has been amazing and so many of you have offered help but right now we really need prayer however I am sure that once she arrives we will be needing tons of help and will be taking everyone up on their offers.

Prayer Requests:
  • Please pray that for the couple of days that I am going to work that my blood pressure stays low and that when I am not at work, that I am resting and being still
  • That the Lord comforts my fears of having a c-section
  • Prayer over my amniotic fluid levels and that they don't decrease to a dangerous level
  • Finally, but most important, that Peyton continues to grow and be healthy

No comments: