Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rollin' with the Baby

So, yesterday Peyton had her 6 month check up and received three vaccinations. In the past she has been a little cranky but nothing too bad. Well, yesterday it took a toll on her and she was not happy!

When we were at the doctor's office she started crying during the exam which is not like her but I think it was because she was cold...it was cold outside, pediatrician keeps the office like a freezer, Peyton had to have her clothes off, the blanket was not providing enough warmth and the examination table was next to a window...I would be ticked off as well. After the examination she had her vaccinations which hurt and made her cry but unlike before she never really calmed down and was fussy until we got home. 

When we got home I put her in her bed since she was sleepy and it was supposed to be nap time and as soon as I put her down she started screaming. Not cute I want to play screams...more like turning red, clinching her fist and real tear screaming. I couldn't get her to calm down so I just went ahead and fed her. She was happy again and then we all played for a little bit. No big deal. After watching some Baby Einstein she was getting sleepy again (typically sleepy signals - yawning..rubbing her ears) so we headed towards her room and again as soon as we put her down...she started screaming. We picked her up, sang songs, walked the house, tried the swing...nothing. So we resorted to something that in the six months she has been here we haven't done....we decided to pack her up in the car and do some driving. We drove to the bank, to Starbucks, around Tuscan Lakes, around South Shore Harbour and finally we made it home with a well rested baby. 

So, the rest of the afternoon and evening went well but it then came time for the dreaded nap. This time Granny was over to see her and she thought that maybe she would have better luck crossing the threshold of doom into Peyton's room. Well, she didn't...and quickly retreated back to mommy and said, "Good Luck." We decided that maybe the best thing would be for a second drive so we packed it up and drove for 90 minutes around the League City area checking out subdivisions that we had never been to and making a trip to Whataburger for some milkshakes. 

When we got home, Peyton was finally her cute and happy self. She ate and then went to sleep. I sent a text message to my mom telling her that all was well finally and as soon as we were heading towards bed around 9:30 PM the monitor lights turned red. Not one light of red...all six or so were solid red! She was awake and angry! I couldn't calm her down so I thought maybe we could bring her to our bed and that would help. Well, kind of...she grabbed at daddy's lip when he was humming at her and then pulled mommy's hair for no reason. After about two hours of moving and being fussy she was asleep...for 40 minutes. She would then wake up screaming, I would get her to sleep and then she would wake up 40 minutes later. This went on until about 3:30 AM. At that time I picked her up and tried to enter her room. We made it past the door and towards the crib and I rocked her until she was out and then I put her in bed around 4:30 AM. Finally she was asleep and slept until 10:00 AM!

So far today she is a whole lot better, a little fussy at nap time but nothing like last night! I am starting to think that her teeth might be coming because one thing that calmed her down last night was if I rubbed her pacifier on her gums. 

All I can say is thank the Lord that she is normally not like this and to those moms who do have fussy babies...God bless you. I can handle nights like this because they only come every once in awhile and are very few and far between.

No comments: