Thursday, March 19, 2009

Time to get serious

I have been fortunate to have been able to lose all of my pregnancy weight by watching what I have been eating (cutting out dairy really helped...thanks Peyton), breast feeding, walking, carrying around a 17 lb baby and all of her stuff and honestly....luck. But as any woman who has had a baby will tell you...even though the scale says I am the same weight pre-baby...things do not look the same at all. I am not sure where this weight has come off from because there are some areas that still have some significant weight in my opinion.
Anyways...my hope was to start running again and that would help tone things up. I got a jogging stroller for my birthday in October and so far it has become a nice walking stroller and another object to clutter up our garage. I don't know why it has been so hard to run but it has. Every time I start I feel like my chest is about to explode and my legs are going to fall off. So...it is a little discouraging and I tend to stop pretty early on.

Then I looked into Yoga classes. I figured this would be a great way to get a low impact work out in and also help me relax. I took one class at a studio I found and it was good but it was $15 a class. Well, take a class a week and you are paying around $60...there has to be a cheaper option (besides the free running).

So, I went to LA Fitness (a gym by us) and looked into memberships. It was only $29.99 a month with no contract! Great thing about this is that they have Yoga, other classes, weights and typical gym equipment and even better....A POOL! I love swimming and used to swim at least once a week or so for exercises/fun when I was at the University of Texas! So on Tuesday night for the first time in my life...I joined a gym. When you sign up they offer a free health assessment/training program set up with a trainer so I have that tonight. I am a little nervous because I know I am out of shape and also because I really hate gyms. Yes, I joined a gym and I hate gyms...makes no sense. Well, I don't hate all of the gym...I like classes, swimming, some of the cardio equipment...what I hate is the weights. I don't know how to use them, I feel self conscious and I hate all of the macho muscle guys that are all around them. I know it is bad to stereotype but you know what I am talking about. Anyways, I am meeting with the personal trainer tonight and am going to emphatically state that I do some weights but if he makes a plan that is weight heavy I will quit!

Overall I am excited and nervous. I want to get back to exercising and have more energy, feel stronger and just feel healthy. I have always told John, I would be happy with they way by body is right now if I knew that I was working out and in shape. I don't care how I look if I know that I am strong and healthy. My goal is to make it to the gym at a minimum 3 times a week and start running or walking twice a week. Ultimately I would like to do another half marathon either in October (Koala/Lukes Locker) or November (San Antonio...never done that one before) or December (White Rock...would like to beat my time) or finally January (Houston).

No comments: