Friday, September 12, 2008

Hunkerin' Down

Hunkerin' down is the new phrase being used on all Houston news stations and even by the Houston mayor. We are taking his advice and are in Katy at John's mom's house. We left League City after Peyton's 4:30 AM feeding on Thursday and have been trying to get as comfortable as possible which is difficult when you know that a huge storm is getting closer and there is so much uncertainity. My mom and sisters are at a nearby hotel in Katy so we are all safe and sound.

The evacuation went well and since we left before a large amount of the mandatory evacuations came through there was no traffic and we got to Katy in about an hour. Of course Peyton slept the whole time. I took a picture of her in her Hurricane evacuation outfit. She looked so cute but she was only wore it for about a hour becuase when we got to Katy and changed her diaper she decided she wasn't done going potty and peed all over the changing pad and consequently her outfit. It is bound to happen sometime!

Since being in Katy Peyton has adjusted fine and really has no idea that anything has changed. She is such an easy going baby! I think that everything finally hit me yesterday and I have been a little overwhelmed. On Wednesday, I was in preparation mode which resulted in me doing way too much and then by the time we got to Katy, I was really tired, in pain and just overwhelmed that I was a new mom who just evacuated her house with a one week old baby. John and my mom have been amazing in comforting me and after a day of rest and prayer I am a little better.

Enough about the hurricane (well for now...we will update once we know the extent of everything)...Peyton is over a week old and I can not believe how much our lives have changed for the better in that short time. She is an amazing baby and so calm. I love getting to know her more and more and figure out her personality. She sleeps so much and would sleep through the night if I didn't wake her up to feed her. She also such an easy going little girl, she has been around so many different houses/people in her first week and she never notices the difference and dogs/barking results in a grimace and that is it. She is starting to have some more alert periods and she is content to just be still and look around. I am amazed at how calm she is and am so thankful. One last update, we were able to get an appointment with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon for Tuesday to look at her hip and recommend a treatment plan. They initially said that their first appointment wasn't until November but we called the nurse's line and they are squeezing her in on Tuesday. I am so thankful that she will be getting treatment as soon as possible. Please pray for her appointment and for her first adventure downtown to Texas Children's.

Please continue to pray for the hurricane and that it doesn't cause too much damage and for everyone in the affected areas safety. I will keep you posted on what our status is and the status of our house is...until then...hunker' down!

No comments: