Tuesday, December 16, 2008

First Real Work Day

Today started my first full week back to work (and actually after this week I am off until January 5) and I think it was a somewhat successful day. As anyone with kids will tell you, it is all about the planning. Given that I am an over planner, I was made for days like today. To give you some background on how today has been a success, a couple of weeks ago, I made a schedule for what our lives will look like with both of us at work. I have assigned days to each of us and on your assigned day there are chores that you are responsible while the other person's responsibility is to spend time with Peyton. Chores normally consist of the following: making dinner, making the next days lunches, making sure bottles are made for the next day, stocking the diaper bag and then a household chore (vacuuming, laundry, picking up etc). 

So, last night we made sure lunches were made, diaper bag was stocked and everything was ready to throw into the slow cooker in the morning. A side note, I have also planned meals for the week that either cook in the slow cooker or take no longer than 15 minutes to prep. This morning everyone got off when they were supposed to and I dropped Peyton off at my mom's around 7:15 AM and then headed into work. It took the typical hour to get in and the day went pretty well. It was a little slow since I am trying to get caught up but overall I was surprised at how well I did being away from Peyton (only two calls to Grandma). I headed out at 5:00 PM and that is when the day went downhill. It took an hour and half to get home (with no accidents) which meant I did not and will not ever make it home for her early evening feeding which makes life difficult. FYI, part of our schedule is that John picks Peyton up in the evening since it is easier for him to get home at night then me. 

Anyways, when I finally got home, after a little bit of interaction/play time, Peyton was grumpy and fell asleep which broke my heart because it showed me how little time I have with her to interact. I pretty much held her while she was sleeping because I didn't want to be away from her. We finished up the night with a little bit of play time, changing into our PJs and after her last feeding rocking to sleep. Then we made sure everything is in place for day 2. 

I am going to be honest...this has been a pretty hard day resulting in lots of, "God, I don't know how I am going to do this but I know that you do," conversations. This is going to have to become the new normal and will be a new and difficult adjustment

No comments: