Friday, December 12, 2008

Mr. Mom for the First Time

Well, it's here...the day Ché had to go back to work, and Peyton and I are here taking care of each other :). I know it is going to be a good long day of learning what Ché has been experiencing for the last three months. I thought I would keep a log of what went on today, rather than multiple post, so here it goes...

7:00AM - Ché left 10 minutes ago, and I soothed Peyton to sleep...all is good, but I think this is the easier part of the day.


8:00AM - I realized I needed to eat some breakfast. As soon as I started eating my Fruit Loops, Peyton started waking up. I thought I could do both at the same time, but that quickly proved impossible. I rocked her back to sleep, and finished my cereal.

9:00AM - An empty bottle was a great sight to see.


Her not eating was one of my biggest fears of the day. Normally, I play with her and calm her when she gets upset, but I don't do a whole lot of the feeding. This turned out great! She took down 3oz in 20 minutes.

10:00AM - Peyton is changed and currently napping. I'm glad the dressing-her part went alot better than the other day. Sometimes I'm not as delicate or whatever it takes to dress a little baby, and Peyton gets frustrated as well. I guess I should have played with dolls more when I was younger...NOT. I'm hoping she sleep close to 12PM, so I can get some stuff done (Ché left me a list...gosh!).

12:00PM - Lunch started out kinda rocky, but keeping her calm was the key. I didn't force the feeding, I just tried to sooth her, then all was good. She took 3oz without a break; it made for a big ole brup though :).

1:30 PM - We went out for a walk around the lake. It was a beautiful day, so I put Peyton in the stroller, put Titus on a leash, and off we went.

2:00 PM - We left to go to the bank, and picked up Shannon from high school at 2:30PM. Wow, I felt like a soccer mom.

3:00 PM - I'm getting really good at this feeding thing now; I fed and burped her in 7 minutes. Something about that doesn't really seem right, since it takes so much longer when Ché breast feeds her.

The rest of the day went along just great. I'm really glad I had a good day with Peyton. It gives me a lot of confidence knowing that I can take care of my own daughter for a day without calling reinforcements. Somedays may require that, but fortunately, this wasn't one of them.


Peyton and I had a great day.

Mommy's point of view on the day...well, I knew this day would come but I didn't realize how quickly it would be here. I made it to work without much hassle (only taking 30 minutes, I wish it was like that all the time) and I highly suggest that any returning mom's go in on a Friday. Today was kind of a different day which made it easier for me, next week will be the real test. I had meetings for most of the day (a working lunch with Chuy's being catered) and then our Christmas party from 4-7 at a nice restuarant (Reef in midtown) so it was a pretty easy day to go back. I had a good time catching up with co-workers at the party and I really do love the people I work with, they are an amazing bunch! I did fine emotionally today until I got home and cried at the sight of Peyton because I realized how much I missed her and how I was supressing all of my feelings so I wouldn't breakdown at work. Overall, it was a successful day and I pray that next week continues to be smooth.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Good for yall! Great job Daddy on taking such good care of your little princess!

Brea in Texas said...

John, good job! You're a great dad, and it sounds like the day was not only successful, but that you had fun with that cute angel, too. I know I don't know her, but I love seeing pictures of her. :)

~Brea