Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Graham's Nursery

Last Thursday and Friday my mom and I got serious and worked hard to finish up all of the sewing for Graham's nursery. Since I decided not to do a bumper pad for various reasons....one, they use it for such a short time before they can pull up and it becomes dangerous and second, there have been some recent studies debating the safety of them even before they can pull up/roll, we really only had some throw pillows and then a crib skirt. We finished up Friday and John put up the pictures and shelves for me and we are pretty much done.

As I mentioned in my 28 weeks post, I am still waiting on a 20" wooden letter that will be painted blue with white polka dots and then the sides brown and hung with a brown ribbon that will go above the dresser. But overall it is done and exactly what I was wanting. I LOVE IT! When I started thinking about a boys room I wanted something modern, nothing too over the top baby and nothing like what I was finding in stores.

I found all of the fabric at High Fashion in downtown Houston, the crib sheet and changing pad sheet is from Babies R'Us and is made by Carters. The bins on the bookcase are from BRU and then the lamps are from Ikea and I just added a piece of brown ribbon to the top and bottom of them. The rug is from Pottery Barn Kids (my splurge). The shelves are from Hobby Lobby and I just painted them. The frame on his bookcase will eventually have a bible verse in it when I finally get around to printing it off. And finally one of my favorite parts are the elephant paintings which were done by my mom!

View from the closet door of the crib and glidder. The pillow on the chair is done in a brown and white stripe pattern.

View from the door.

Paintings done by my mom...seems like a lot of my artwork in my house is done by her!


I found these knobs at Hobby Lobby and they are the perfect way to spruce up the dresser we got from Ikea. I wanted a dresser to help with storage but that meant our changing table from Peyton would add too much furniture in the room. This dresser is the perfect height for a changing table and it provided storage and for cheap! Perfect! The letter that I ordered will be going above the dresser/changing table. I will have to update the picture when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

The bookcase/toy area. I looked everywhere for bins and finally found these perfect ones on sale at BRU! Peyton loves to come in and play with Graham's toys!

The curtains made by my wonderful mom! They have a brown/white hounds tooth fabric at the top, then a blue suede and then the elephant pattern.

I am loving sitting in his room and re-reading all of my baby care/preparation books. I also love just rocking in there while praying over him or having my quiet time. I loved that time when I was pregnant with Peyton and part of the reason I love having the nursery done early. I feel like this time around I have less and less time to be still and reflect on Graham, my pregnancy, and the changes to come so it is nice when I do have a little bit of time to have a quiet place that was made and designed for him to do that.
Thank you so much to my mom for all her help in designing, shopping multiple times for fabric, sewing, painting and helping put it all together! I appreciate it so much!

No comments: