Sunday, January 11, 2009

4 Month Appointment

Peyton had her four month appointment yesterday and as expected she is growing leaps and bounds. She weighs 14 lbs 4.5 oz (53%) and is 25 1/4 inches long (74%) and still has a small head at 16 inches (29%). I am so happy to see that she is gaining weight well. As you might remember from her 2 month check up she was at the 33% and the doctor thought she would be finally at the 50% or higher by four months and she is! 

Everything else checked out well and she is doing great. She had four vaccinations (three in her legs and one she had to drink) and she was a champ like last time. She has had a little harder time this time though and is pretty cranky and had a fever last night and this afternoon. We of course are spoiling her by letting her do what she wants and sleep wherever she wants (the swing is a popular spot). 

As for her development Peyton is discovering new things all the time. She is getting so close to rolling over (she gets her legs going and her arms but not at the same time) and is starting to enjoy tummy time more and more and is really lifting her head up. She is grabbing everything and will even pull on it (mommy's hair is one of her favorite things to yank on) and the cutest thing is when she wraps her hands on her blanket when she is sleeping. We haven't heard anymore laughs since Canada so I am guessing that means that we are really not that funny but we do hear many sounds that are getting louder and louder. 

She will not be starting solids until a couple more months however the doctor said that once she can sit up, if she shows some interest and we are adventurous we can offer her some rice cereal and see what she does. We will wait and see on that but we will need to go out and get some feeding supplies (a high chair etc) next month so we be ready and it will be nice for her to sit at the table with us when she is able to sit up better. I am also thinking about the possibility of making my own baby food so I will be starting to research that in the next couple of months and decide if that is an adventure I want to take on. My initial research looks good and I am pretty excited about that possibility.

Finally, Peyton is losing some serious amounts of hair. She has a pretty evident bald spot on the back of her head and she is losing other patches here and there. The only significant amount of hair is at the nape of her neck which looks pretty funny. But she is starting to get some new hair growth up top and it is blonde! I know this is disappointing to Grandma Hill but we all expected that to happen.

2 comments:

Brea in Texas said...

Hey Che, just wanted to let you know that I've made all my own baby food for all three kids. It started out as a money thing (have you priced jar baby food? It's insane!), but quickly became something for which I'm now a huge advocate. It's incredibly easy to make a month's worth of food in about 3 hours, it's so much more nutritious, you can have a lot more fun and introduce all kinds of great foods she'll never taste out of a jar, and yes, it is much cheaper.

I never read any books on the subject, but if you're interested in knowing what worked for me, drop me an email at brea.mangosteen@gmail.com and I can give you some really easy places to start. :)

~Brea

Kendra said...

Levi had a harder time with his 4 month shots too. Odd. Good luck on making solids. I had wanted to but things just kept coming up that prevented me from doing it.