Sunday, January 18, 2009

Watching..not running...the Houston Marathon

Today was the Houston Marathon and Half Marathon! Last year at this time, about three days after we found out we were expecting, John ran the full marathon and I ran the half marathon. So, Peyton kind of already ran a half marathon (not too many kids in daycare can say that). This year we have not run at all and went to be spectators. I have never been a spectator at a race (John has watched me at two different half marathons) and it was so much fun!

We headed out of the house around 6:00 AM, made a Starbucks run and then camped out around mile 7 on the course. Peyton was all bundled up and ready to cheer on the runners. She only lasted a little bit in her stroller before she wanted to be held and see what all the commotion was all about. Her eyes were huge! She just kept watching and watching all of the runners come by! She eventually had a nice long nap and as always was a trooper on our crazy adventures. She must wonder where she goes half the time.

We mainly went out to the race because we had so many friends running. Here are some pictures of the front runners who were amazing! The men and women both set course marathon course records. I am always amazed at elite runners and their strength. It is pretty cool to see how God has designed the human body to be able to take on such a tough venture.

We were able to see all of our friends besides Jared and Carissa (I don't know how we missed you guys) and it was so much fun to cheer and support everyone. I am so incredibly proud of them as many were running their first half marathon! You guys did amazing! I only got pictures of Bryce and Laura! It was Laura's first half marathon and she rocked!

Congrats Bryce, Laura, Jared, Carissa, Sarah on finishing the half marathon and congrats Clint on finishing your second full marathon! And congrats to all the other 25,000 runners!

It was a great day and it gave me the running bug (of course)! So, when we got home I went for a two mile run and have decided that I will be training for the Rodeo 10k the end of February and my ultimate goal is the Angie's Half Crazy Half Marathon the end of March! Kind of ambitous goals but I will be going for completion instead of a personal record.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thank you soooo much for coming. I now know how important it is to have friends cheering you on!! It felt so good to see you there supporting us. I'm sure you understand. See you soon!

Laura