Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No Good, Very Bad Day

Today was Peyton's first day at daycare. A day that I knew would be hard on everyone and I was hoping would be harder on her parents than her. Well, unfortunately it was hard on everyone.

As always the morning went off without a hiccup (well, Peyton had some hiccups but when doesn't she) and we made it to Primrose on time and doing great. Mommy had to say a quick prayer before leaving the car so she wouldn't lose it inside but we all headed in as a family. We checked Peyton in, brought her into her classroom and unpacked her gear, introduced her to the teacher, gave her kisses goodbye and handed her over (along with half of my heart while the other half crumbled into small pieces). We then went and did some paperwork in the office where I almost started crying and then we left. Before we drove off I looked in the window and was happy to see the teacher carrying Peyton around as she was doing some things on the counter. Peyton looked content and so I got into the car, talked to John for a little bit and then we both drove off to our respective places (I made a little stop to Starbucks before my ultimate destination for a pick me up).

Work went well in the morning, I was a little sad but I was busy so I didn't have much time to dwell until I called around noon. I was told that she was fine and I didn't ask much more becuase I was starting to get upset. So, I asked John to call at 2:30 PM with specific questions and that is when we found out things were not so fine.

First, we were told that Peyton ate at 10:00 AM which was not good since she eats at 9:00 AM and I immediately wanted to know why they deviated from her schedule especially when we had to fill every little detail out for them (I later found out she was sleeping at 9:00 AM despite my request for them to wake her if she is still asleep 15 minutes after her scheduled time to eat). Well, that was not a big deal until they said that at 1:00 PM she refused to eat and was just crying and was currently asleep until about 3:00 PM which would mean that she would have gone 5 hours between feedings...TOO LONG! Well, I was upset so I called my mom and she offered to go and pick her up and figure out what was going on.

Here is what happened when my mom arrived. She walked in and Peyton was in the rocking chair with a pacifier and was crying and crying. They were warming up her bottle and so my mom offered to try to feed her. Peyton ate 1/2 of her bottle (you would think she would be starving) and then started to cry and cry and was crying so hard she wouldn't burp, wouldn't take her pacifier. According to her teachers, that was the same thing that happened earlier in the day. They mentioned that she seemed gassy which isn't the case because I watch what I eat and even when she is gassy she really isn't that grumpy. They suggested bringing in a blanket from home to help (yet there were two in her car seat under her bed) and a couple of other things. My mom said that they seemed really sweet and caring and I am sure it was just as frustrating for them as it was for Peyton. When my mom got Peyton home, she ate the rest of her bottle and took the one at 6:00 PM great. I got over there around 6:30 PM and was so happy to see her. It was a horrible feeling being at work knowing your child is not doing well and you aren't there to fix it. After a night of being served by my parents by having dinner made for us, our laundry being done, watching the game with them, we headed home, got things ready for today and went to sleep around midnight with one of Peyton's blankets so it would smell like me in hopes that it would be comforting on Tuesday among some of the other things I am going to bring up.

I pray that tomorrow (or is it already today?) goes better for everyone. 

No comments: