Friday, October 10, 2008

Bottle Success!!

There are lots of opinions out there on when to introduce the bottle (after six weeks, between four-six weeks, a couple of weeks before you need it etc) but after much thought and some research I decided that we would introduce it this week. I know that some babies have a difficult time with it so I didn't want to wait too long since she will need to learn how to take a bottle for when I return to work. I was pretty confident that she would do fine since she did have to have to have her feedings supplemented with formula for the first five days or so and she has had no problems with breast feeding and sucks her pacifier like crazy. Even with all of that I was a little nervous because we ended up with some trouble with taking the bottle once we came home from the hospital and had to supplement feedings for two-three additional days. At the hospital she took the bottle like a champ and then when we came home all of the bottles (I had three different brands) I had her were too wide for her mouth and she just didn't do very well. Since then I have done some research and found great reviews on Dr Brown's Natural Flow Bottles so I picked up one the other day and we tried it last night. We waited until an evening feeding (9:00 PM) when she is normally getting a little hungry but isn't too grumpy and John offered her the bottle and she didn't flinch at all. The bottle only had a little bit in it because I didn't want to waste milk if she didn't take it so I finished feeding her afterwards. We will continue trying the bottle at least once a week but so far so good!

No comments: