Saturday, October 18, 2008

Operation Collection a Success!

As an update to the last post...we have been successful in obtaining three viable stool samples for Peyton and they are at the lab and should be expecting results by Wednesday of next week.

What a crazy couple of days it has been! No matter how many parenting books or "What to Expect" books I read prior to her arrival, nothing prepared me for having to get stool samples from your six week old baby. I quickly realized Thursday morning that depending on obtaining samples from her diaper were not going to work since diapers are so absorbent so I decided to be creative and used a common household item to put in her diaper to assist. What would that be you may wondering...cling wrap. Yes, the same thing you use to cover left overs. I know it sounds crazy and messy (trust me it was) but when you are desperate for three vials of stool within 48 hours you will do anything. 

Well, I had a doctor's appointment that morning and my mom had agreed to watch Peyton (prior to finding out about having to collect the samples) so I dropped her off and secretly hoped that she would have at least one messy diaper while I was gone as I was tired of this whole process. I got my wish and we were well on our way until last night when the poop stopped! NO! So, all night long she had her cling wrap diaper contraption on which lead to lots of leaking diapers and consequently wetting herself through her clothes and blankets and waking up out of discomfort which means no sleep for mommy. We finally finished everything up this afternoon and my mom graciously came over (she most really love us to pick up her phone and agree to come over after yesterday) to give Peyton a bath while I ran the samples over to the lab. 

Peyton is such a trooper and I feel so bad for her and all she has had to go through with all of the doctor's appointments, the hurricane evacuation and now this but we now have a clean, cling wrap free and happier baby. 

1 comment:

Keith and Annie said...

Hahaha Che, I love reading your blog. It makes me look forward to what the future could possibly have in store for me. I hope y'all continue to do well!!