Thursday, October 16, 2008

You want me to do what?

As a disclaimer, this post will once again discuss newborn bowel movements and might be a little gross....

So, yesterday Peyton and I were having a great morning with a 9:00 AM feeding, a nice bath, story time in her glidder to help her get ready for her nap and she was falling asleep when all of the sudden, two hours after she ate, she started vomiting everything and everywhere. It was coming out her nose, mouth and drenched me and her. After everything stopped and I calmed her down slightly, I cleaned us all up, calmed her down more for a nap, got myself in the shower and then decided to call the pediatrician. I know that all babies spit up every once in awhile but she had a similar episode last week at the mall (at least there she was contained in a car seat so I was not a victim) and she still has not had any formed bowel movements. I had called on Monday telling the nurse that she still hadn't had a formed bowel movements and although the dirty diapers were less they were still not normal. She told me not to worry and that it should be fine soon. Well, after the vomiting episode today I decided that we needed to call one more time and the nurse actually asked me to come in again.

We packed everything up and headed over there yesterday afternoon and they checked her weight again to ensure she was growing....and is she ever...she is 9 pounds 10.5 ounces! She has gained about a 1 pound 3 ounces since October 3! Then we met with the doctor and were advised that since this tummy bug hasn't gone away yet we needed to do some stool samples to test for various things. Easy enough...right? NOT! So, I have three vials with some liquid in them that I need to add stool to in order to raise the liquid to a red line and you have within 48 hours to get the vial to the lab. This would be easy if you are an adult but when you have a baby who has diarrhea and is in an absorbent diaper it is next to impossible. We waited all night (note: we no longer have a life) for her to go potty and once we heard something immediately pulled off her diaper (we kind of scared her since she was in the middle of a feeding) and tried to use the scoop to get something out (this is really so gross) and pretty much were very unsuccessful. I have absolutely no idea how we are going to fill one vial let alone three. All this to say, as weird as it sounds, please pray for us that we can get everything together to take to the lab so they can run the appropriate tests and Peyton can get better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I'm rolling laughing. Poor family! I'll definitely be praying for you all ;)

Anonymous said...

A few days late, but Happy Anniversary. I do hope that Peyton is feeling better now and that you, Che, and John are getting some rest. (Sorry about the Anonymous but Ihaven't sorted out the other identies yet.)

Lots of love
Uncle Dan'l & Aunt Maureen