Sunday, October 26, 2008

Weekend Update

We had a very busy weekend....

On Friday, John took his Friday off so that we could head over to the Galveston County District Clerks office to apply for Peyton's passport. I spent the whole week getting everything together (going to the Reliant area for her birth certificate, making two trips to CVS for pictures since she wouldn't keep her eyes open the first time) and since she is under 16 both parents have to be present to apply for a passport. We got everything done Friday which was a relief. Why is Peyton getting a passport you may ask? Well, she is making her first international trip December 26 to visit her great grandparents in Canada. We will flying into Toronto and driving a couple of hours north to Bracebridge to see them and spend a couple days there and coming home December 31. I am so excited for her to see them and that they will have a chance to meet her and I am excited about bringing her to Canada and she can see where she is also from. I would like to get her a Canadian passport in the future so that is something I need to look into. I have travelled the world and gone on many trips but I am very nervous about this adventure and traveling with an infant. I am hoping these next couple of months I can plan and prepare everything so it can go as smoothly as possible and even with all of that I am prepared to just sit back and laugh when things blow up in our face.

On a side note about Canada...as many of you know, I am Canadian and currently have a permanent residence status in the United States. It has always been my intention to become an American citizen as soon as I was eligible which was this year. We haven't done anything yet due to the cost but the other day my mom asked me what would happen if I stayed Canadian and just stayed a permanent resident of the United States. I don't know the answer but it got me thinking about if I really did want to give up my Canadian citizenship. Yes, if I stayed a permanent resident I would never be able to vote which is something I am very passionate about and would be honored to be able to do but since I have had Peyton I have also realized the importance of heritage. I want my daughter to know she is Canadian and although many people think Canada and the United States are practically the same...they are NOT! They are two distinct countries with different traditions, customs and ways of life. I want her to be proud that she is Canadian and American and it makes me wonder if the right to vote is enough of reason to become American. A big decision that at one time was so easy and now is causing me to think a little harder...
 
This weekend Grandpa Acord and Doreen came from Louisiana to meet Peyton. It was a great weekend of catching up and them getting to spend time with Peyton. I am only hoping that they can make more trips to us or we can make trips to them so they can see her as she grows up. 

Saturday was spent watching lots of football and of course the Texas game. I even made Longhorn shaped sugar cookies for the event. I am so happy we held on and won! Next week should be a good game against Texas Tech and it will bring out the friendly family rivalry with Aunt Ashley. Peyton already has a shirt in the making for the special occasion. Then today, Peyton went to Grandma's so mommy could attend church with everyone instead of sitting in the cry area. She will be going to the nursery (Pee Wee Ville) probably in 3 weeks (I am waiting for her to get her vaccinations) which will allow John and I to attend church with each other but it will be difficult to drop her off for the first time. 

Today will be spent hanging out with Aunt Shannon and Grandma Hill.....tons of family time and I love it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love the outfit!