Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thankful Thursdays

I LOVE Thanksgiving! 


Ever since moving to Texas I fell in love with the whole holiday....good food, family, parades, football, feeling of Fall and the kick off of Christmas. Then when I met my husband I enjoyed it even more because he had a large extended family that gathered every year and they welcomed me in from the beginning. I looked forward to Thanksgiving every year! John always thought it was kind of funny that a Canadian would have such a love for an American holiday! But I enjoy having a day to reflect on our blessings to sing praises of thanks and to appreciate what truly matters...our hope and promise we have in Him and family! 


For November and Thanksgiving You might have seen on Facebook various status updates of what everyone is thankful for on that day. I didn't want to be tied to Facebook and feeling like I had to make a status update for everyday this month but I do really like the idea of expressing thankfulness for the blessings in my life. 


And since living here I have understood more than ever the importance on focusing on what is good and recognizing the blessings that I do have. 


"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 
1 Thessalonians 5:18.


Shortly after moving here my sister suggested writing down a gratitude journal to track what I am thankful for that day and although I didn't follow through with writing it down I do reflect every morning what I am thankful for that day. It might be something from the night before or something we are doing that day but I hold onto that and when the day gets rough I give thanks for what is good in my life.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." 
James 1:17 


So I am going to do a Thankful Thursday post every week to capture what I am thankful for each day of the past week!
  1. Psalm 106:1 "Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!"  I am thankful in the promise that no matter where I am... that I am loved by an amazing Savior!
  2. I am thankful that my husband has a job. Although he is now working 12 hour shifts up until we leave to go home to the states...I am focusing on the positive that he has a well paying job and can provide for us.
  3. I am thankful for my two kids and the laughter they provide in my day! 
Stay tuned for next week and I encourage you to write down what you are thankful this month!

No comments: