Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Baby Diet

No Peyton is not on a diet, she is at that one time in your life when rolls are encouraged and celebrated, but I am on a diet. After having Peyton I was pleased to see the weight on the scale getting smaller and smaller and I have lost 26 pounds already mostly by just watching what I eat and walking with Peyton. Although great and a good start I have now realized that the remaining 12 or so (it would actually 16 to get my pre-pregnancy weight but honestly I liked how I looked with a couple more pounds) will take a little more effort. I know I need to be running more but honestly when you have to do something it is not nearly as much fun as before when you did it for fun...yes, I used to run for fun. Now that it is a must to lose weight it is so much harder to go and napping/cuddling with Peyton normally wins. However, although cardio is a huge chunk of the weight lose puzzle I have realized that Peyton has helped out in more ways than she knows, here are my observations:
  1. Who needs a gym when kneeling down to pick up something with a 10 pound baby in your arms is like doing squats anyways
  2. Swaying side to side while standing is a sure way to help calm Peyton and does wonders for your obliques 
  3. It is easy to watch what you have to eat when you have to restrict your diet (no dairy, green peppers, onions, chocolate, caffeine) 
  4. When attending functions (like a baby shower that we attended today or the Halloween block party yesterday) it is easy to not be tempted by the snacks because you normally have about a minute to eat anyways which forces you to carefully choose the few snacks you would like and forget about going back for seconds. Also, cake is normally served at the end of the party when your baby is most likely to want to go home and eat which is their way of making sure you are not tempted to stay and have unhealthy cake. 
  5. Breakfast, lunch and even dinner are determined by when the baby is content enough to be alone in her bouncer or napping which means you eat infrequently and quickly (I am not sure how the quickly helps with weight loss but infrequent does help)
  6. Walking to and from the car with a ten pound baby in a car seat in one hand and a heavy diaper bag on your shoulder works your arm muscles like you wouldn't believe. Also, having to lift the car seat over and into the basket of the cart works some serious shoulder and back muscles
  7. Since grocery shopping and Peyton sitting in the basket don't mix (unless you have no intentions of purchasing anything at the store because there is no room) she is normally in her front baby carrier. Once again, carrying ten pounds in front of you and bending to get groceries is bound to work some muscle group
I am sure I could find more and more examples on how Peyton has assisted her mommy in losing all of the weight that helped bring her into this world but honestly I need to get running. So, please pray for me that I would find the joy in running that I once had so I can be healthy and take care of my body. Running was such a great time for reflection and quiet time with the Lord and not only do I need it to get in shape physically but also spiritually. So, my goal this week is to run....

No comments: