Saturday, November 22, 2008

Snot, Snot and More Snot


My poor poor little girl. I feel so incredibly horrible for infecting her with this horrible cold and am on a mission to hunt down the person or thing that gave it to me. Well, I am not hunting down where I transmitted this bacteria but I do feel horrible for Peyton. 

Wednesday morning I noticed some congestion so we started with a cool mist humidifier right away. My mom actually went to the store for us and brought home a pretty cute little friend for Peyton's room...an ELEPHANT! I don't know how well the humidifier is working considering she is miserable but I am sure she would be worse without it. I feel a difference in my breathing just by rocking her in her room. So, end of day Wednesday, I was thinking that we were doing pretty good with this cold business. 

Thursday rolls on in with some nice vomiting to start the morning off right. I was walking her back to her bed at 3:00 AM and was patting her back when I heard a forceful cough and felt liquid on my leg. Nice! So, we cleaned everyone up and put everyone back to bed. Later that morning I called the pediatrician to make sure that we were doing everything right in fighting our first cold and were told that the only other thing to do would be nasal aspiration with the aspirating bulb and some nasal saline drops before each feeding and before bed. We called daddy to advice him on what his mission was on his way home and he successful arrived with the goods. Once again our first time parents nativity got the better of us as we thought this wouldn't be too bad of an experience and I held Peyton up and John sprayed the stuff and suctioned out the nose and Peyton screamed. She cried real tears (the first time I have ever seen them), turn red and screamed. After it was done she just looked at me with eyes that cried, "how could you do this to me?" Well, I gently told her it was for her own good and she ate her pain away and with a considerably less stuffy nose. And she did have two more vomiting sessions all after doctor office hours of course which meant I anxiously waited until the morning to address my concerns. 

A note on that: the best baby book I have found is Dr. Sears, "The Baby Book," it is so helpful, complete and really addresses everything you need during the first two years. It is a great reference and I have used it many times! They also have a website that has much of the information there. Also, if you have ever watched the new TV show, The Doctors, the pediatrician on there is the authors son.

Friday comes with a sense of hope that I would walk in and my precious little girl will be snot free and happy. I peer into the crib and do get a smile (which I look forward to every morning) but sadly see that I still have a snot filled and coughing baby. We suction out the nose (more crying), eat and daddy (who is home today) takes Peyton from mommy so she can have a shower and get really dressed (not mommy sweat pants dressed) for the first time this week. As I walked off I hear, "cough, cough, oh no." Peyton vomited again and all over daddy this time. We clean everyone up and I notice during this process that the vomit is a little more sticky than normal. I decide to call the pediatrician's office to advise them of our newest symptom and make sure we are all doing well since it is about to be the weekend where questions like this could cost you some serious cash with the after hours nurse line and the ER. Well, I was again reassured that we are doing everything we can and the vomiting is attributed to her trying to cough up mucus (hence the stickiness). After that call I decided that I needed to get away and made a trip to the mall. I had been home all week with me being and Peyton being sick and I needed to have some time away so I could be here for her all weekend. She was asleep so daddy took her and I went shopping for a little bit. The rest of the day and night went well, still no fever and just lots of snot to sneeze out and suction out.

Today (Saturday) is still a snotty, coughing day and she looks miserable. She did sleep way too long last night (around 8 hours) which probably means she is losing her appetite. She did eat a little bit this morning before it was interrupted by an intense coughing fit that I was almost certain would end up in vomit, but it didn't. Anyways, she is sleeping now and I am praying that she will get better soon because nothing this small and helpless should have be sick :(

Here are are couple of pictures pre-sickness that remind me of how cute and happy she once was...she is still cute, just not so happy.


No comments: