Sunday, November 23, 2008

Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)

Peyton has Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), how do I know you may ask. Well, my three hour long visit to the ER educated me on the many things young infants can contract and RSV with minor bronchiolitis (man, I am almost a doctor) is what Peyton has decided to let live in her little body. It doesn't look that bad in the picture so you can't blame her for letting it in and we haven't had the stranger talk yet.

So, to update everyone on what lead us to the ER. Today Peyton was pretty much miserable. In case you were doubting my conclusion, here is a pretty sad picture of her pre-ER visit and no, I don't make her wipe her own nose. 

She had a pretty intense vomiting session late this afternoon which resulted in lots of nasty yellow mucus to be deposited down into my shirt and down my chest with me patting her back and telling her, "what a good girl, get all those nasty mucus bugs out," of course I was thinking about those nasty cartoon mucus characters on those Mucinex commercials. Well, following that episode she was doing relatively well until this evening when she started having intense coughing fits that left her red and gasping for air. She also was sounding like she was choking in the process. That pretty much freaked me out and I decided to call the after hours nurse line. They advised me that it could be pretty serious (they were thinking whooping cough) and that I should bring her into the ER. While packing everything up and making a bottle, John yells for back up because she has vomitted again. We finally make it out and after making it through registration we made it to the pediatric ER and saw the doctor. He said it could be a couple of things and after examining her wanted to get a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia amd a nasal swab for RSV. We got both things done with only tears on the nasal swab and the tests came back positive for RSV. Initially he told us that if it was RSV that she would be admitted for over night observation but when he came back he said that he oxygen levels were 100% and although eating less she is still eating some and the only thing the would do overnight is run an IV and monitor her oxygen so he was comfortable with her going home with us monitoring her. However if we were too tired she could stay overnight. There was no way I was going to let her stay alone in a hospital rather than home in her comfy bed etc so we decided to bring her home and make sure to monitor her breathing (make sure she doesn't turn blue or stop breathing for 30 seconds...no, I am not freaked out at all) for the next 24 hours with a follow up at the pediatrician on Monday. The bad thing about this is that it can linger for up to two weeks. She won't be feeling this bad but can have some lingering symptoms for awhile :(

So, I am camping out in Peyton's room right now on the 2:30 AM to 5:30 AM shift while John is sleeping. I have the humidifier going, the swing in here in case I need reinforcements and my laptop and of course, plenty of snacks and extra clothing in case of messes. Peyton is finally resting in her bed with me listening closely and trying to stay awake. 

With all that said, we need some serious prayer! Please pray for Peyton and that she will fight this off and be healthy. Also, please pray over this next 24 hours or so and that John and I have the strength to go without sleep and watch over Peyton and monitor for any breathing issues and also comfort her. Finally, that Peyton knows that her parents love her and are here for her and she feels safe and at peace in our arms.

No comments: